RELATIONSHIP AMONG POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS’ INFORMATION LITERACY, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SKILLS AND LIBRARY USE IN SELECTED UNIVERSITIES IN NORTH EAST ZONE, NIGERIA
Augustine C. Mathew; Fatima Lasisi Ibrahim Ph.D & Yahaya Aliyu Ph.D
The study investigated the relationship among postgraduate students’ information literacy, information technology skills and library use in selected universities in North East Zone, Nigeria. The three selected libraries are; Ramat Library, University of Maiduguri, Borno State, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Library, Bauchi State and Ibrahim Babangida Library, Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa State respectively. The study is guided by one null hypothesis. Correlation survey research design was adopted in conducting the research. The population of the study was 183 registered postgraduate students’ library users of the selected university in the zone for 2018/2019 academic session and a total of 183 (100%) questionnaires were retrieved and found valid for analysis. Data collected was analyzed using multiple regression at 0.05 level of significance to test the formulated hypothesis. The statistical package for social sciences (SPSS) software version 23 was used for coding of the data collected. Based on the findings of this study, for information literacy to locate recorded a coefficient of determination which is the adjusted R2 value of 0.231 implies that the variables included in the model explain 23.1% variation on the information literacy were explained by the independent variables included in the model which include information skills and information technology skills. The remaining 76.9% can be attributed to error in specification and the exclusion of other factors from the model. Therefore, the study recommended that the services provision of the librarians should be extended to assisting postgraduate students in retrieving their needed information.